Sustainable Business Practices your Company Should Implement
Becoming a sustainable business may not seem as if it could help your bottom line, but it does offer many benefits. Customers want to shop at businesses that are eco-conscious. You can use your sustainable efforts in marketing. You may also find some rebates through Energy.gov or your local utility or municipality offices. Here are some small steps you can take to make your business more sustainable.
Inside Your Building
- Order eco-friendly business cards, using recycled paper and a vegetable-based ink or toxic-free toner. Use a local company to prevent having to ship the cards.
- When you replace light bulbs, look for energy-efficient lighting. Update equipment with energy-conscious items.
- Create a healthier environment inside with plants. Some studies show that plants increase employee productivity. Plants will help keep the air cleaner.
- Choose green cleaning products instead of toxic chemicals. Not only will the products reduce your environmental impact, generally, there are less hazards from green cleaning products making for a safer work environment.
- Instead of buying bottled water, give employees reusable water bottles to fill throughout the day. Provide coffee mugs instead of paper or Styrofoam cups.
- Turn off all electronics every day before the office closes.
Outside Your Office
Turn off outside lighting during non-productive hours. If it’s needed for security, use energy-efficient bulbs.
- Minimize the time that the parking garage fans stay on, using them during the busiest or hottest part of the day.
- Encourage the use of public transportation, carpooling and alternative ways to get to work (bikes, walking, etc.) If your office environment allows, telecommuting can reduce emissions, wear and tear on the car and your utility bill.
- Install landscaping that is eco-conscious and doesn’t need as much maintenance as a pristine lawn.
Do your part to reduce your impact on the environment. You’ll save money, time and reduce your carbon footprint. Contact Artemis Commercial Capital for funding options to help you put sustainable business practices into effect.